خط مشی دسترسیدرباره ماپشتیبانی آنلاین
ثبت نامثبت نام
راهنماراهنما
فارسی
ورودورود
صفحه اصلیصفحه اصلی
جستجوی مدارک
تمام متن
منابع دیجیتالی
رکورد قبلیرکورد بعدی
Document Type:Latin Dissertation
Language of Document:English
Record Number:53379
Doc. No:TL23333
Call number:‭3211627‬
Main Entry:John Mark Nicovich
Title & Author:The lion and the cross: The Venetian church in the Byzantine Empire, 1082–1261John Mark Nicovich
College:Saint Louis University
Date:2005
Degree:Ph.D.
student score:2005
Page No:268
Abstract:This dissertation focuses on properties held by various Venetian churches in the colonies the Republic of St. Mark possessed in the Byzantine Empire. These properties played an important role both in serving Venetian merchants overseas as well as providing sources of external funding for their churches back home. The needs of the Venetian church and the needs of Venetian trade intersected due to the geography of the lagoons. The watery landscape of the lagoons forced the Venetians into seaborne trade; at the same time it rendered their metropolitan bishop, the Patriarch of Grado, quite poor. Repeated attempts to solve the problem internally had failed. Thus the Venetians looked for an external solution. In 1082 the Byzantine Emperor rewarded Venice with a chrysobull granting them extensive trading rights in the Empire as well as a trading quarter within Constantinople. This dissertation demonstrates that the chrysobull included a direct attempt to assuage the poverty of Grado through gifts from the Empire. When these gifts failed to materialize the Venetian government used the chrysobull indirectly, giving Venetian real estate to Grado as a source of monies. Throughout the twelfth century Venetian churches sprang up throughout the Empire. Grado as well as several monastic houses established suffragan churches in Constantinople and other emporiums throughout the Empire. These institutions served to meet the spiritual and business needs of Venetian merchantmen within the Empire, as well as generating revenue for their mother churches back in the lagoons. The Fourth Crusade changed the situation dramatically. As a result the Republic came into control of a third of Constantinople itself. Following established tradition the Venetians gave over much of their new land in Constantinople to Grado and other ecclesiastic institutions. The Venetians also gained control of the Patriarchate of Constantinople against the wishes of the papacy, but did so in order to protect their own Patriarch's properties within the Empire. In sum Venetian church property in the Byzantine Empire served to fund growing church institutions back home, as well as serving the direct spiritual and business needs of Venetians in the Empire.
Subject:Social sciences; Byzantine Empire; Church; Fourth Crusade; Italy; Venetian; Middle Ages; Religious congregations; 0330:Religious congregations; 0581:Middle Ages
Added Entry:T. F. Madden
Added Entry:Saint Louis University